Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Townes Van Zandt


I was thinking about song writers today. I was looking for some inspiration, and I dug deep in my memory to remember what motivated some of the song writers that I considered an influence on me. Townes came to mind. A man born into money. He walked away from it. A writer like no other. He had his struggles like most artist. He never fell into the mainstream of music. Just sort of rode along at his own pace. He colored outside the lines. His vision in his songs was something beyond what most writers would observe. Townes died on New Years day 1997. The same day Hank Williams died. Hank was his biggest influence. If your not familiar with him, check out his songs. He was a songwriter's songwriter.

5 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Joe

I am so sorry to hear about your accident that got compounded at the hospital.
Good to see that you are recooperating ok.
BTW I am a fan of Hank Williams from way back.
I am not familiar with Townes.
My daughter turns 16 next summer.
Beware of those round bales...
LOL
I used to feed them to my horse but, in the winter, the elk would chow one down in a matter of days.
My husband used to sneak up on the elk herd in the mornings to scare them away from the hay. One morning he counted 24 in the corral with the horse!

Take care.
Heal well.
Dale

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Sam said...

i think townes did a springsteen cover once didn't he? i think i heard it.

I'll check out more material.

I'm glad you like 'You'll Be Here'. It was one of those 10 min, stream of consciousness songs. I don't remember recording it either. I had a massive hangover and just kind of did it like that.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Nabonidus said...

Heeeeyy Joooooe, where you goin' with that cast on your hand? 'lol
(I know it's not your hand, it's your shoulder, arm. But I just couldn't help myself: I could play and sing this on guitar, of course.)lol
I'm glad you are feeling better, though.
I haven't heard of Townes, but I'll check him out. :)

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

I haven't heard of him either, Joe, and it has me wondering if there is a Lynyrd Skynyrd connection. I will be checking it out as well. Thanks for sharing, and keep on feeling better.

Cheers,
AM

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Hope your arm is getting better. Will check out Townes songs on MusicMatch. Thanks for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home